Gift Guide: For teens
Sunday 26 November 2006
1. Comme des Garcons big wallet This is the perfect transition from childhood pencil case to young lady's handbag. You'll get loads of fashion Brownie points from your older friends. And, it's a great size - big enough to hide your geometry set, iPod and Tampax in, without losing them at the bottom of your satchel. From £110, Dover Street Market, tel: 020 7518 0680,
2. Slick Willies Love & Peace skateboard Teens are so often associated with being couch potatoes but skating is a great way to keep fit. People frown on street culture, but a skateboard offers freedom in the concrete jungle. £49.99, Slick Willies, 12 Gloucester Road, London SW7, tel: 020 7225 0004, www.slickwillies.co.uk
3. Adidas special-edition high-top trainers by Yohji Yamamoto A friend of mine is always on a mission to buy his two daughters something that is virtually impossible to get hold of so they can be one up on everyone else in the playground. Instilling the idea that originality is best when it comes to style is really empowering. These rare trainers look great with tight jeans. From £180, Selfridges, tel: 0870 837 7377, www.y-3.coms
4. Issue one of 'Rubbish' magazine
This is an independent fashion annual that I launched earlier this year, celebrating the silly side of style, which every teen needs. Across between Beano and Vogue, it's the antidote to all the gloss and glamour that's out there. £12.34 plus p&p 07811 396 332, www.rubbishmag.com
5. Marimekko duvet set I remember being 14 and having a pink bedroom with pink Laura Ashley wallpaper and pink soft furnishings. I hated it. I covered the wall with posters, saved up to buy a new duvet set from Habitat. Marimekko is bright, fun and gives instant jazz to a teen bedroom. Double duvet cover £78, single cover £58, square pillowcase £16, rectangular case £14, Marimekko, 16 St Christopher's Place, London W1, tel: 020 7486 6454.
6. By Terry Multicare eye definer and Nars pink nail polish There's no one girls fancy more than a boy with black eyeliner on. As for pink nail varnish: that's for the little girl in everyone. Both £12.50, Space NK, tel: 020 8740 2085, www.spacenk.com
7. Stabilo pens 68, assorted colours
No one is too old for colouring in, least of all when you're a teenager and spending lots of time daydreaming and doodling. These are also great for writing rude words on your exercise book. From 94p each, Stabilo, tel: 01753 605 670, www.stabilo.co.uk
8. Classics by JD Salinger, Nancy Mitford and Jilly Cooper's early stuff These are all coming-of-age stories. I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 15 and it blew me away. Finally there was a voice from someone freaking out as much as I was about growing up. A brilliant gift because being a teenager can be a lonely time. From £5.59, www.amazon.co.uk
Mother-of-two Jenny Dyson is the European editor of 'Teen Vogue' and the editor-in-chief of 'Rubbish Magazine'
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber pass £170,000 on eBay
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
£70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Information Security Manager (ISO 27001, A...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...
£60000 - £80000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Integration...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + ex bens: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: Biztalk Te...