Gift Guide: For teens
Sunday 26 November 2006
1. Comme des Garcons big wallet This is the perfect transition from childhood pencil case to young lady's handbag. You'll get loads of fashion Brownie points from your older friends. And, it's a great size - big enough to hide your geometry set, iPod and Tampax in, without losing them at the bottom of your satchel. From £110, Dover Street Market, tel: 020 7518 0680,
2. Slick Willies Love & Peace skateboard Teens are so often associated with being couch potatoes but skating is a great way to keep fit. People frown on street culture, but a skateboard offers freedom in the concrete jungle. £49.99, Slick Willies, 12 Gloucester Road, London SW7, tel: 020 7225 0004, www.slickwillies.co.uk
3. Adidas special-edition high-top trainers by Yohji Yamamoto A friend of mine is always on a mission to buy his two daughters something that is virtually impossible to get hold of so they can be one up on everyone else in the playground. Instilling the idea that originality is best when it comes to style is really empowering. These rare trainers look great with tight jeans. From £180, Selfridges, tel: 0870 837 7377, www.y-3.coms
4. Issue one of 'Rubbish' magazine
This is an independent fashion annual that I launched earlier this year, celebrating the silly side of style, which every teen needs. Across between Beano and Vogue, it's the antidote to all the gloss and glamour that's out there. £12.34 plus p&p 07811 396 332, www.rubbishmag.com
5. Marimekko duvet set I remember being 14 and having a pink bedroom with pink Laura Ashley wallpaper and pink soft furnishings. I hated it. I covered the wall with posters, saved up to buy a new duvet set from Habitat. Marimekko is bright, fun and gives instant jazz to a teen bedroom. Double duvet cover £78, single cover £58, square pillowcase £16, rectangular case £14, Marimekko, 16 St Christopher's Place, London W1, tel: 020 7486 6454.
6. By Terry Multicare eye definer and Nars pink nail polish There's no one girls fancy more than a boy with black eyeliner on. As for pink nail varnish: that's for the little girl in everyone. Both £12.50, Space NK, tel: 020 8740 2085, www.spacenk.com
7. Stabilo pens 68, assorted colours
No one is too old for colouring in, least of all when you're a teenager and spending lots of time daydreaming and doodling. These are also great for writing rude words on your exercise book. From 94p each, Stabilo, tel: 01753 605 670, www.stabilo.co.uk
8. Classics by JD Salinger, Nancy Mitford and Jilly Cooper's early stuff These are all coming-of-age stories. I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 15 and it blew me away. Finally there was a voice from someone freaking out as much as I was about growing up. A brilliant gift because being a teenager can be a lonely time. From £5.59, www.amazon.co.uk
Mother-of-two Jenny Dyson is the European editor of 'Teen Vogue' and the editor-in-chief of 'Rubbish Magazine'
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
You can STILL be jailed for being a republican, government confirms, and it remains illegal to even 'imagine' overthrowing the Queen
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
Fighting back: the woman giving a voice (and 49,999 others) to the victims of sexism - by giving an airing to their horror stories
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
UK evangelist says Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
£35000 - £42000 per annum + excellent company benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group:...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£39000 - £425000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Newly Qualified ...
£30000 - £38001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A highly respecta...