Gift Guide: For teens
Sunday 26 November 2006
1. Comme des Garcons big wallet This is the perfect transition from childhood pencil case to young lady's handbag. You'll get loads of fashion Brownie points from your older friends. And, it's a great size - big enough to hide your geometry set, iPod and Tampax in, without losing them at the bottom of your satchel. From £110, Dover Street Market, tel: 020 7518 0680,
2. Slick Willies Love & Peace skateboard Teens are so often associated with being couch potatoes but skating is a great way to keep fit. People frown on street culture, but a skateboard offers freedom in the concrete jungle. £49.99, Slick Willies, 12 Gloucester Road, London SW7, tel: 020 7225 0004, www.slickwillies.co.uk
3. Adidas special-edition high-top trainers by Yohji Yamamoto A friend of mine is always on a mission to buy his two daughters something that is virtually impossible to get hold of so they can be one up on everyone else in the playground. Instilling the idea that originality is best when it comes to style is really empowering. These rare trainers look great with tight jeans. From £180, Selfridges, tel: 0870 837 7377, www.y-3.coms
4. Issue one of 'Rubbish' magazine
This is an independent fashion annual that I launched earlier this year, celebrating the silly side of style, which every teen needs. Across between Beano and Vogue, it's the antidote to all the gloss and glamour that's out there. £12.34 plus p&p 07811 396 332, www.rubbishmag.com
5. Marimekko duvet set I remember being 14 and having a pink bedroom with pink Laura Ashley wallpaper and pink soft furnishings. I hated it. I covered the wall with posters, saved up to buy a new duvet set from Habitat. Marimekko is bright, fun and gives instant jazz to a teen bedroom. Double duvet cover £78, single cover £58, square pillowcase £16, rectangular case £14, Marimekko, 16 St Christopher's Place, London W1, tel: 020 7486 6454.
6. By Terry Multicare eye definer and Nars pink nail polish There's no one girls fancy more than a boy with black eyeliner on. As for pink nail varnish: that's for the little girl in everyone. Both £12.50, Space NK, tel: 020 8740 2085, www.spacenk.com
7. Stabilo pens 68, assorted colours
No one is too old for colouring in, least of all when you're a teenager and spending lots of time daydreaming and doodling. These are also great for writing rude words on your exercise book. From 94p each, Stabilo, tel: 01753 605 670, www.stabilo.co.uk
8. Classics by JD Salinger, Nancy Mitford and Jilly Cooper's early stuff These are all coming-of-age stories. I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 15 and it blew me away. Finally there was a voice from someone freaking out as much as I was about growing up. A brilliant gift because being a teenager can be a lonely time. From £5.59, www.amazon.co.uk
Mother-of-two Jenny Dyson is the European editor of 'Teen Vogue' and the editor-in-chief of 'Rubbish Magazine'
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...