Gift Guide: For teens
Sunday 26 November 2006
1. Comme des Garcons big wallet This is the perfect transition from childhood pencil case to young lady's handbag. You'll get loads of fashion Brownie points from your older friends. And, it's a great size - big enough to hide your geometry set, iPod and Tampax in, without losing them at the bottom of your satchel. From £110, Dover Street Market, tel: 020 7518 0680,
2. Slick Willies Love & Peace skateboard Teens are so often associated with being couch potatoes but skating is a great way to keep fit. People frown on street culture, but a skateboard offers freedom in the concrete jungle. £49.99, Slick Willies, 12 Gloucester Road, London SW7, tel: 020 7225 0004, www.slickwillies.co.uk
3. Adidas special-edition high-top trainers by Yohji Yamamoto A friend of mine is always on a mission to buy his two daughters something that is virtually impossible to get hold of so they can be one up on everyone else in the playground. Instilling the idea that originality is best when it comes to style is really empowering. These rare trainers look great with tight jeans. From £180, Selfridges, tel: 0870 837 7377, www.y-3.coms
4. Issue one of 'Rubbish' magazine
This is an independent fashion annual that I launched earlier this year, celebrating the silly side of style, which every teen needs. Across between Beano and Vogue, it's the antidote to all the gloss and glamour that's out there. £12.34 plus p&p 07811 396 332, www.rubbishmag.com
5. Marimekko duvet set I remember being 14 and having a pink bedroom with pink Laura Ashley wallpaper and pink soft furnishings. I hated it. I covered the wall with posters, saved up to buy a new duvet set from Habitat. Marimekko is bright, fun and gives instant jazz to a teen bedroom. Double duvet cover £78, single cover £58, square pillowcase £16, rectangular case £14, Marimekko, 16 St Christopher's Place, London W1, tel: 020 7486 6454.
6. By Terry Multicare eye definer and Nars pink nail polish There's no one girls fancy more than a boy with black eyeliner on. As for pink nail varnish: that's for the little girl in everyone. Both £12.50, Space NK, tel: 020 8740 2085, www.spacenk.com
7. Stabilo pens 68, assorted colours
No one is too old for colouring in, least of all when you're a teenager and spending lots of time daydreaming and doodling. These are also great for writing rude words on your exercise book. From 94p each, Stabilo, tel: 01753 605 670, www.stabilo.co.uk
8. Classics by JD Salinger, Nancy Mitford and Jilly Cooper's early stuff These are all coming-of-age stories. I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 15 and it blew me away. Finally there was a voice from someone freaking out as much as I was about growing up. A brilliant gift because being a teenager can be a lonely time. From £5.59, www.amazon.co.uk
Mother-of-two Jenny Dyson is the European editor of 'Teen Vogue' and the editor-in-chief of 'Rubbish Magazine'
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Windows 10: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' to unveil latest operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...