Going Higher: 'Don't expect tips from locals'
Tuesday 11 August 1998
"LIKE MOST students, I mismanaged my money in the first year and had to look for jobs to work my way out of that. The first one I had was in a veggie cafe in the city centre. I worked there as a waiter from Christmas to Easter in my second year doing three shifts a week. But the pay was only pounds 2.50 an hour.
"That summer I stayed in Bradford and worked at another cafe in Saltaire. The pay there was pounds 3.50 an hour. What you have to look out for in catering in Yorkshire, though, is the absence of tips. The locals are not generous and sometimes tips are not passed on to staff.
"My last job was at the Yorkshire Post in Leeds, cold calling for subscriptions. They paid pounds 3.75 an hour plus commission. But the travelling took time and I had to give it up in the end to finish my dissertation. You have to balance your university work and the need to earn."
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...