GPs offered inner city reward
This follows concern that some parts have too few GPs, not enough women and only a handful able to speak local non-English languages.
Normally if a practice takes on a new doctor, existing GPs have to take a cut in salary. The authority plans to top up the income of its practices so that existing GPs would not suffer, and the salaries of new GPs would be in line with the national average.
But GPs would have to accept any patient, regardless of health. Only violent ones could be turned away.
The authority plans initially to offer posts at Killick Street, Ampthill Square and Bath Street. The money will come partly from the London Implementation Group, a Department of Health group trying to encourage more primary health care.
London has a problem recruiting GPs. Iona Heath, a Kentish Town GP and chair of the Royal College of General Practioners' inner city task force said: 'You need a degree of commitment to work in an inner city. GPs here tend to earn less because on average they have a high workload. We have patients that need more care.'
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...