AIDS is everywhere this July
Thursday 08 July 2010
July isn't World AIDS Awareness Month, but with high-level events taking place globally including TEDGlobal 2010, AIDS 2010, Mandela Day the world is bound to focus on new ideas, global commitments and recent advances and studies.
Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations asked the G20 during their July meeting to invest 60 million dollars (47.8 million Euros) into mother child global health and it is expected AIDS commitments will target mother-child HIV-AIDS transmission.
With the global economy at the forefront of political leaders' and policymakers' agendas, the pressure is mounting for nations to hold their Millennium Development Goals (MDG) promises in 2010.
Here are some simple tips to keep you in the know and let your voice be heard:
- Sign the petition to make AIDS a priority: http://www.ua2010.org/en/G8-AIDS
- Keep current on technological advances with emerging science publication MIT's Technology Review July/August edition devoted to AIDS entitled ‘Can AIDS be cured?': http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25563
- Hear what Scottish pop icon Annie Lennox, UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador, has to say at during TEDGlobal 2010 taking place in Oxford, London between July 12-16. http://conferences.ted.com/TEDGlobal2010/program/guide.php
- Try to volunteer at the AIDS 2010 conference in Vienna, Austria July 18-23 http://www.aids2010.org
- Learn what INGOs like ONE, UNAIDS, Global Health Council and Medicins Sans Frontieres are doing and how you can help them or local organizations in your neighborhood in the spirit of Mandela Day on July 18. http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/index.html
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
Bio-engineering vaginas not about peach smell, company says, but making them healthier
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
£30000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent: Austen Lloyd: Employment Solicitor - Ke...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Hi All, I'm currently recruiting for t...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£23000 - £30000 per annum + pension, 25days holiday: Ashdown Group: An industr...