AIDS is everywhere this July
Thursday 08 July 2010
July isn't World AIDS Awareness Month, but with high-level events taking place globally including TEDGlobal 2010, AIDS 2010, Mandela Day the world is bound to focus on new ideas, global commitments and recent advances and studies.
Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations asked the G20 during their July meeting to invest 60 million dollars (47.8 million Euros) into mother child global health and it is expected AIDS commitments will target mother-child HIV-AIDS transmission.
With the global economy at the forefront of political leaders' and policymakers' agendas, the pressure is mounting for nations to hold their Millennium Development Goals (MDG) promises in 2010.
Here are some simple tips to keep you in the know and let your voice be heard:
- Sign the petition to make AIDS a priority: http://www.ua2010.org/en/G8-AIDS
- Keep current on technological advances with emerging science publication MIT's Technology Review July/August edition devoted to AIDS entitled ‘Can AIDS be cured?': http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25563
- Hear what Scottish pop icon Annie Lennox, UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador, has to say at during TEDGlobal 2010 taking place in Oxford, London between July 12-16. http://conferences.ted.com/TEDGlobal2010/program/guide.php
- Try to volunteer at the AIDS 2010 conference in Vienna, Austria July 18-23 http://www.aids2010.org
- Learn what INGOs like ONE, UNAIDS, Global Health Council and Medicins Sans Frontieres are doing and how you can help them or local organizations in your neighborhood in the spirit of Mandela Day on July 18. http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/index.html
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...