AIDS is everywhere this July
Thursday 08 July 2010
July isn't World AIDS Awareness Month, but with high-level events taking place globally including TEDGlobal 2010, AIDS 2010, Mandela Day the world is bound to focus on new ideas, global commitments and recent advances and studies.
Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations asked the G20 during their July meeting to invest 60 million dollars (47.8 million Euros) into mother child global health and it is expected AIDS commitments will target mother-child HIV-AIDS transmission.
With the global economy at the forefront of political leaders' and policymakers' agendas, the pressure is mounting for nations to hold their Millennium Development Goals (MDG) promises in 2010.
Here are some simple tips to keep you in the know and let your voice be heard:
- Sign the petition to make AIDS a priority: http://www.ua2010.org/en/G8-AIDS
- Keep current on technological advances with emerging science publication MIT's Technology Review July/August edition devoted to AIDS entitled ‘Can AIDS be cured?': http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25563
- Hear what Scottish pop icon Annie Lennox, UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador, has to say at during TEDGlobal 2010 taking place in Oxford, London between July 12-16. http://conferences.ted.com/TEDGlobal2010/program/guide.php
- Try to volunteer at the AIDS 2010 conference in Vienna, Austria July 18-23 http://www.aids2010.org
- Learn what INGOs like ONE, UNAIDS, Global Health Council and Medicins Sans Frontieres are doing and how you can help them or local organizations in your neighborhood in the spirit of Mandela Day on July 18. http://www.nelsonmandela.org/mandeladay/index.html
Life & Style blogs
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 3 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
£6 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a gro...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Service Delivery Manager is required to join...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...