Almodovar to go on diet for Cannes competition
Sunday 17 April 2011
Spanish film director Pedro Almodovar said Thursday he was thrilled to be invited to take part in this year's Cannes Film Festival and joked that it would be "a stimulus" to go on a diet.
Festival organisers announced Thursday that the 59-year-old's latest film "The Skin That I Inhabit" would be among the 19 movies competing at the 64th edition of the festival, which runs from May 11- 22 on the French Riviera.
The Oscar-winning director said he would not be thinking of winning prizes at the festival.
"I am above all interested in the reaction of the public, the press and film distributors to my movie," he said in a statement released by his film production company El Deseo.
"I am very pleased with the results of "The Skin That I Inhabit" and I'm highly curious to see the reaction to it at the festival. For this reason I have accepted the invitation to be part of the official competition.
"Besides, Cannes is always a stimulus to go on a diet," he added.
The movie, based on French author Thierry Jonquet's 2005 novel "Tarantula", tells the tale of a plastic surgeon who takes revenge on the man who abused his daughter. It stars Spanish actors Antonio Banderas and Elena Anaya.
Almodovar won the award for best screenplay at Cannes in 2006 for "Volver" and received the best director prize at the festival in 1999 for "All About my Mother".
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...