Apple iPod Nano may pose fire hazard, says Japan
Thursday 29 July 2010
Japan's industry ministry has ordered Apple to report on measures it will take regarding cases of its iPod Nano music player overheating and catching fire, an official said Thursday.
Overheating of the 2005 iPod Nano while charging has caused at least 27 incidents, including six fires that required firefighters to be called, an official from the Economy, Trade and Industry Ministry said.
"Four people burned themselves after they touched the device, which had overheated during charging," he said.
"The ministry repeatedly asked Apple Japan to take market measures, such as giving warnings or recalling the products, but it has failed to do so," he said, adding the ministry issued the order late on Wednesday.
Apple has sold about 1.6 million units of the first iPod Nano model in Japan.
The ministry also ordered the company to report on incidents not only at home but overseas as well, the spokesman said.
The latest setback for Apple follows the launch of its iPhone 4, which has been dogged by reception problems linked to its new design and manufacturing issues that have led to the delay of the white version.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 4 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 5 Bryan Cranston speaks candidly about wealth
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...