Balts and Poles top EU potato-lover table
Monday 06 September 2010
Residents of the three Baltic states and Poland are the biggest potato-lovers in the European Union, Estonia's statistics office said Monday.
"Latvian residents eat 274 grammes of potato a day, Poles 248 grammes, Lithuanians 234 grammes and Estonians 188 grammes," senior statistician Piret Tikva told AFP, citing EU-wide research.
Potatoes have long been a staple of the region's cuisine, and the consumption compared with an average 134 grammes per day across the 27-nation bloc, she said.
Italians came bottom of the table, eating just 76 grammes a day.
"The data shows only potatoes bought by people, but in addition many people in Baltic States also grow potatoes themselves," said Tikva.
"Eating potatoes is very traditional in this region, and potatoes are eaten a lot because they are also a cheap food," she added.
Life & Style blogs
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
ZX Spectrum to return with Vega reboot
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 1 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 5 Tory activist asked to step down after Labour candidate Rupa Huq is 'manhandled' while questioning Boris Johnson on the campaign trail
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...
£16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...