Balts and Poles top EU potato-lover table
Monday 06 September 2010
Residents of the three Baltic states and Poland are the biggest potato-lovers in the European Union, Estonia's statistics office said Monday.
"Latvian residents eat 274 grammes of potato a day, Poles 248 grammes, Lithuanians 234 grammes and Estonians 188 grammes," senior statistician Piret Tikva told AFP, citing EU-wide research.
Potatoes have long been a staple of the region's cuisine, and the consumption compared with an average 134 grammes per day across the 27-nation bloc, she said.
Italians came bottom of the table, eating just 76 grammes a day.
"The data shows only potatoes bought by people, but in addition many people in Baltic States also grow potatoes themselves," said Tikva.
"Eating potatoes is very traditional in this region, and potatoes are eaten a lot because they are also a cheap food," she added.
Life & Style blogs
What is Lyme disease, what are the symptoms and is treatment readily available?
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 2 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 3 Alton Towers Air breaks down: 80 people stuck on broken down Monorail during heatwave
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
£15000 - £16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you've got first class custo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity to join a medium s...
£11830 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working in a friendly, sales ta...
£15000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...