Doctors banned from smoking in Philippines
Monday 27 September 2010
Doctors in the Philippines have been banned from smoking by the country's medical association to make sure they set a good example to their patients, the group said Saturday.
The order by the Philippine Medical Association will also ensure that other people are not affected by a doctor's second-hand smoke, association president Oscar Tinio said in a statement.
"Physicians must be role models on matters of health, whose lives, decorum and personality are highly respected or emulated by all sectors of society - that is why it is highly inappropriate for physicians to be seen smoking," he said.
Spokesman Mike Aragon said that the public was encouraged to report smoking medics to the association.
Asked what would happen to doctors who violate the order, Aragon said a committee would decide that later.
"We will cross the bridge when we reach it," he told AFP.
Tinio was quoted as saying that he personally knew doctors who smoked.
Government statistics show that there are 17.3 million smokers in the Philippines, amounting to about 28 percent of the population aged 15 or older.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino admits he is a smoker, saying he needs the habit to deal with the stress of the job.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...