Doctors banned from smoking in Philippines
Monday 27 September 2010
Doctors in the Philippines have been banned from smoking by the country's medical association to make sure they set a good example to their patients, the group said Saturday.
The order by the Philippine Medical Association will also ensure that other people are not affected by a doctor's second-hand smoke, association president Oscar Tinio said in a statement.
"Physicians must be role models on matters of health, whose lives, decorum and personality are highly respected or emulated by all sectors of society - that is why it is highly inappropriate for physicians to be seen smoking," he said.
Spokesman Mike Aragon said that the public was encouraged to report smoking medics to the association.
Asked what would happen to doctors who violate the order, Aragon said a committee would decide that later.
"We will cross the bridge when we reach it," he told AFP.
Tinio was quoted as saying that he personally knew doctors who smoked.
Government statistics show that there are 17.3 million smokers in the Philippines, amounting to about 28 percent of the population aged 15 or older.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino admits he is a smoker, saying he needs the habit to deal with the stress of the job.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...