Eat 'Mediterranean' - follow six simple rules
Thursday 17 June 2010
A new study found that eating a Mediterranean-style diet can keep men's hearts beating effectively, aiding in the prevention of disease. Here are six tips to guide your 'Mediterranean' meals.
The researchers noted the study, published in the June 15 online edition of the journal Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, was only conducted on white males, however just about everyone should consider filling up on Mediterranean-inspired dishes given that a host of published studies have found the diet also diminishes depression, cancer, heart disease, strokes, brain damage and premature death risks.
A key to maintaining a Mediterranean-style diet is the production and quality of the food. Simply follow these six guidelines:
1. Fast is not better - for example, bread should be fresh, long-rising, low yeast.
2. Balance is essential, here is a breakdown of what to eat and how often for the next time you are preparing a meal or shopping list:
3. Make sure the majority of your daily diet includes: extra-virgin olive oil originating from the Mediterranean; rice, avoid instant but other than that most grains work (long, medium and short grains, basmati, patna, and aborio); pasta from Italy; grains (couscous, bulgur); fresh, local and unprocessed vegetables and fruits; aromatic herbs and spices and plenty of water.
4. Eat these daily but in low moderation: legumes (chickpeas, lentils); beans, white cheese, yogurt, eggs, nuts, honey and wine (optional).
5. Try to keep these foods in moderation weekly: lean meat, poultry, fish, pastries, bitter chocolate, clarified butter, cheese, milk, and sausage.
6. Only reach for sweets and red meat 2-3 times a month
Full study, "Mediterranean Dietary Pattern Is Associated With Improved Cardiac Autonomic Function Among Middle-Aged Men: A Twin Study": http://circoutcomes.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/CIRCOUTCOMES.109.905810v1
Mediterranean food pyramids: http://www.oldwayspt.org/mediterranean-diet-pyramid and http://www.mediterranean-food-recipes.com/food-pyramid.html
Life & Style blogs
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Scientists discover 'stroke protection gene' – that also guards against heart attack and migraine
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Parenting gay teens: the book that all parents need to read
Regin: US and UK intelligence services could be responsible for snooping spyware
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...