Eat these ten foods every day for optimal health
Thursday 24 June 2010
It is a challenge to keep up with diet trends and health studies, between the onslaught of announcements about what is good for you and not being recalled because of a salmonella outbreak. Here is a list of functional foods that keep all the parts of your body in optimal health.
According to various health and wellness sites (Eat This, Not That, a section of the publication Men's Health, AskTheTrainer, Shine, Delish) there are certain foods you should eat every day that include:
- Spinach (promotes blood flow, keeps bones strong, healthy eyes)
alternatives: kale, bok choy, romaine
- Blueberries (antioxidant, great for brain and wards off cancer, diabetes)
alternatives: acai berries, purple grapes, prunes, raisins, strawberries
- Walnuts (omega-3, helps libido and brain)
alternatives: sesame seeds, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts
- Oats (fiber helps the heart and digestive tract)
alternatives: quinoa, flaxseed, wild rice
- Apples (Red delicious apples keep your heart functioning well)
- Eggs (lutein keeps eyes fit plus iron-rich yolks, makes hair healthy and strong)
- Black beans (brain food, improves memory, function and power)
alternatives: peas, fava, lima, pinto and kidney beans
- Yogurt (probiotics help keep your belly flat and healthy)
alternatives: hard or semi-hard cheeses, kefir
- Carrots (vitamin A, good for your skin)
alternatives: sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow bell pepper, mango
- Tomatoes (rich in lycopene, helps avoid skin, bladder, lung cancers and heart disease)
alternatives: watermelon, pink grapefruit, persimmon, papaya, guava
If you are concerned about getting bored with a limited menu, try elevating your dishes with fresh herbs and spices (tumeric, cinnamon).
Plus you may want to consider incorporating a small amount of protein into your diet like lean free-range red meat, chicken, turkey, and fatty fish (salmon).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...