Eat these ten foods every day for optimal health
Thursday 24 June 2010
It is a challenge to keep up with diet trends and health studies, between the onslaught of announcements about what is good for you and not being recalled because of a salmonella outbreak. Here is a list of functional foods that keep all the parts of your body in optimal health.
According to various health and wellness sites (Eat This, Not That, a section of the publication Men's Health, AskTheTrainer, Shine, Delish) there are certain foods you should eat every day that include:
- Spinach (promotes blood flow, keeps bones strong, healthy eyes)
alternatives: kale, bok choy, romaine
- Blueberries (antioxidant, great for brain and wards off cancer, diabetes)
alternatives: acai berries, purple grapes, prunes, raisins, strawberries
- Walnuts (omega-3, helps libido and brain)
alternatives: sesame seeds, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts
- Oats (fiber helps the heart and digestive tract)
alternatives: quinoa, flaxseed, wild rice
- Apples (Red delicious apples keep your heart functioning well)
- Eggs (lutein keeps eyes fit plus iron-rich yolks, makes hair healthy and strong)
- Black beans (brain food, improves memory, function and power)
alternatives: peas, fava, lima, pinto and kidney beans
- Yogurt (probiotics help keep your belly flat and healthy)
alternatives: hard or semi-hard cheeses, kefir
- Carrots (vitamin A, good for your skin)
alternatives: sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow bell pepper, mango
- Tomatoes (rich in lycopene, helps avoid skin, bladder, lung cancers and heart disease)
alternatives: watermelon, pink grapefruit, persimmon, papaya, guava
If you are concerned about getting bored with a limited menu, try elevating your dishes with fresh herbs and spices (tumeric, cinnamon).
Plus you may want to consider incorporating a small amount of protein into your diet like lean free-range red meat, chicken, turkey, and fatty fish (salmon).
Life & Style blogs
How psychopaths hide in plain sight – a psychological analysis of serial killer Dennis Rader
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
How I rescued my brain: Psychologist David Roland rewired his thoughts following a stroke
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...