Eat these ten foods every day for optimal health
Thursday 24 June 2010
It is a challenge to keep up with diet trends and health studies, between the onslaught of announcements about what is good for you and not being recalled because of a salmonella outbreak. Here is a list of functional foods that keep all the parts of your body in optimal health.
According to various health and wellness sites (Eat This, Not That, a section of the publication Men's Health, AskTheTrainer, Shine, Delish) there are certain foods you should eat every day that include:
- Spinach (promotes blood flow, keeps bones strong, healthy eyes)
alternatives: kale, bok choy, romaine
- Blueberries (antioxidant, great for brain and wards off cancer, diabetes)
alternatives: acai berries, purple grapes, prunes, raisins, strawberries
- Walnuts (omega-3, helps libido and brain)
alternatives: sesame seeds, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts
- Oats (fiber helps the heart and digestive tract)
alternatives: quinoa, flaxseed, wild rice
- Apples (Red delicious apples keep your heart functioning well)
- Eggs (lutein keeps eyes fit plus iron-rich yolks, makes hair healthy and strong)
- Black beans (brain food, improves memory, function and power)
alternatives: peas, fava, lima, pinto and kidney beans
- Yogurt (probiotics help keep your belly flat and healthy)
alternatives: hard or semi-hard cheeses, kefir
- Carrots (vitamin A, good for your skin)
alternatives: sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow bell pepper, mango
- Tomatoes (rich in lycopene, helps avoid skin, bladder, lung cancers and heart disease)
alternatives: watermelon, pink grapefruit, persimmon, papaya, guava
If you are concerned about getting bored with a limited menu, try elevating your dishes with fresh herbs and spices (tumeric, cinnamon).
Plus you may want to consider incorporating a small amount of protein into your diet like lean free-range red meat, chicken, turkey, and fatty fish (salmon).
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cure for cancer to her scientist father
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An excellent opportunity ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Systems Administra...
£24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Communications and External Affairs As...
£29000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst- (Customer Suppor...