Eat your B6 for total health plus avoid cancer
B6 is often called 'mighty' because of all the benefits associated with it including healthy hair, skin, blood flow, mind and immune system. And, it just got mightier as researchers have found B6 can decrease lung cancer risk.
The authors published their findings in the June 16 online edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).
The multi-year collaborative research initiative The European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) began in 1992 and recruited 519,978 participants from ten European countries.
After analysis of the data the researchers concluded, "Serum levels of vitamin B6 and methionine [an ?-amino acid] were inversely associated with risk."
To make sure your diet is rich with B6 make sure to incorporate plenty of bioavailable B6 foods, this generally means animal protein foods (turkey, beef, halibut). For example, tuna is 100 percent B6 bioavailable where plant-based foods (like chestnuts, chickpeas, brown rice, potatoes) are only 20-40 percent.
If you are concerned about mercury levels in B6-rich fish opt for products that note artisanal fishery practices and try to eat light tuna instead of white.
Full study, "Serum B Vitamin Levels and Risk of Lung Cancer": http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/303/23/2377
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...