Fats are healthiest whole
Tuesday 21 September 2010
Scientists and nutritionists have long touted the benefits of good fats, and when it comes to oils getting them in their whole form is best.
According to the September print edition of Better Nutrition magazine, healthy oils like coconut, flaxseed and olive provide added benefits when consumed in their whole form - namely fiber, protein and fewer calories.
"Focus on the whole plant instead of the extracted oil, rely on avocados, nuts and other whole foods to supply healthful fats."
Should you still desire a light drizzle of oil, researchers at Kumamoto University School of Medicine in Japan concluded minimally processed oils, especially unprocessed olive oils, are best.
Full study, "Generation of lipid peroxyl radicals from edible oils and their biological activities: A need for consideration for anti-radical components and purification processing": http://iospress.metapress.com/content/m7ypvpma5a42brvf/?referencesMode=Show
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 4 Gary Lineker involved in Twitter row after presenter rubbishes claims he will be warned by BBC over foul-mouthed tweets
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years
£16500 - £20000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: We are currently r...
£100 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Crawley: KS2 PPA Teacher currently nee...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + pension, healthcare,25 days: Ashdown Group: An est...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...