Fats are healthiest whole
Tuesday 21 September 2010
Scientists and nutritionists have long touted the benefits of good fats, and when it comes to oils getting them in their whole form is best.
According to the September print edition of Better Nutrition magazine, healthy oils like coconut, flaxseed and olive provide added benefits when consumed in their whole form - namely fiber, protein and fewer calories.
"Focus on the whole plant instead of the extracted oil, rely on avocados, nuts and other whole foods to supply healthful fats."
Should you still desire a light drizzle of oil, researchers at Kumamoto University School of Medicine in Japan concluded minimally processed oils, especially unprocessed olive oils, are best.
Full study, "Generation of lipid peroxyl radicals from edible oils and their biological activities: A need for consideration for anti-radical components and purification processing": http://iospress.metapress.com/content/m7ypvpma5a42brvf/?referencesMode=Show
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
The 10 Best food processors
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...