Finns shed fat to boost literacy in Nepal
Tuesday 15 June 2010
Overweight Finns advanced more than their health by shedding weight to raise 1.44 million euros (1.72 million dollars) to improve literacy in Nepal, the national health institute said Monday.
Some 14,000 Finns took part in a three-month "fat for literacy" campaign, supported by an anonymous donor who initially pledged to grant 15 euros for every kilogramme (2.2 pounds) shed, but later doubled the donation to 30 euros per kilo.
The participating weight watchers shed a total of 48,074 kilos (105,763 puonds) to raise 1,442,220 euros, the National Institute for Health and Welfare, which coordinated the campaign, said in a statement.
The money will be used for the schooling of children and the training of teachers in Nepal, with Finland's foreign ministry overseeing the use of the funds.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
£50000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Development Manager - Wel...
£13750 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join ...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: .NET Developer - Welwyn ...
£65000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This national direct sales com...