Football: Barcelona wants to ban smoking at Camp Nou
Monday 28 March 2011
Spanish champions Barcelona have proposed a total ban on smoking at its Camp Nou stadium, club officials said Monday.
The club will ask its members to vote on the proposal for "a smoke-free Camp Nou" at its next general assembly, said Jordi Mones, one of the club's directors.
"This is consistent with Barca's values," he told a news conference.
If Barcelona members approve the proposal, the smoking ban will come into effect next season, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell added.
Under a new anti-tobacco law which came into effect across Spain on January 2, smoking is already forbidden in indoor passageways in the Camp Nou stadium, which can seat 99,354 people.
The new law, one of the strictest in Europe, bans smoking in all enclosed public spaces, including bars, restaurants and night clubs, and makes it illegal to smoke in children's parks or anywhere on school or hospital grounds.
Barcelona said the initiative is in line with similar policies across Europe.
Dutch club Ajax and Germany's Bayer Leverkusen have banned smoking at their grounds as have all stadiums in Britain, the club said on its website.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about great ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...