Allergy: mystery of the sun
Tuesday 22 August 2006
When in the sun, I get a prickly red rash. It appears anywhere exposed to the sun, but not my face. Even if I stay out of the sun, I still get a rash in hot countries. Sunscreen doesn't help. Is there a solution, short of holidaying in Iceland?
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
The ultraviolet rays of the sun are causing a reaction in your skin called polymorphic light eruption (PLE or PMLE). This is an allergic-like condition that causes the symptoms you describe. PLE is probably caused by an abnormal reaction of the body's immune system when exposed to UV radiation. The only solution is to stay out of the sun, or you could undergo a course of desensitisation phototherapy or photochemotherapy with a dermatologist. In the spring, you have a series of treatments that increase your skin's ability to withstand UV rays. You don't get a rash on your face probably because you are desensitising your face naturally.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to firstname.lastname@example.org. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...
£17000 - £20000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: SAS Business Analyst, London, Banking, Credit Ris...
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...