Asthma: Paying the price
Tuesday 30 October 2007
Why are NHS prescriptions not free for people with asthma and other chronic diseases? A friend with diabetes gets all of her prescriptions for free. I have asthma and must pay for mine.
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Many years ago, the NHS decided that it would provide free prescriptions for patients who were suffering from "deficiency diseases" ones caused by the human body's inability to produce natural hormones. People with diabetes are not able to produce enough insulin, whereas asthma is not caused by a specific hormone deficiency. Yet if you had both diabetes and asthma, your asthma prescriptions would be free. The rules are hopelessly out of date, but no one seems keen to update them. Why, for example, isn't hormone replacement therapy free? It is a classic example of a condition caused by the body's inability to produce natural hormones. Your best bet is a pre-payment certificate, which is like a season ticket for prescriptions. If you buy more than four prescription items in three months or 14 items in 12 months, this will save you money. A three-month pass costs 26.85, a 12-month pass 98.70. You can pay for the 12-month pass by direct debit spread out over 10 months. You can order online at www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to firstname.lastname@example.org. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...