Drinking problem: Ageing or alcohol
Tuesday 25 September 2007
After 20 or so years of regular drinking at the pub, I find now that I am intolerant of bitter. Do I need to worry about what beer might have done to my insides over the years, or is this just a sign of ageing?
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Intestinal symptoms wind and diarrhoea are fairly common complaints after drinking alcohol of all kinds. Some people find they can tolerate white wine but not red, others beer but not lager. You're not alone, and I don't think you've seriously damaged your intestines. It is simply your body telling you that it can no longer cope with the quantity of bitter you are asking it to process. You don't say how old you are, or how many pints you drink. But if you are asking your intestine to handle five pints a night, seven days a week, I'm not surprised it's protesting.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to firstname.lastname@example.org. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
Contraceptive pill 'can affect emotions by changing structure of brain'
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...