HIV: is there a morning after pill for HIV?
Tuesday 12 September 2006
As a parent of two teenagers, I am worried about their risks of contracting sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Is there an effective "morning-after pill" for HIV which can be taken if a condom breaks and you think there is a risk from your partner?
Unfortunately, there is no fully effective "morning-after pill" for HIV, and there is no reliable evidence about the best way of dealing with a risky sexual encounter after it has happened. The good news is that the risk of contracting HIV through a single episode of vaginal intercourse is only about three in 1,000. Anal intercourse is more risky. There is a complicated drug regime that is sometimes prescribed to health workers who are exposed to HIV risk at work. There are no UK guidelines for preventing HIV after exposure in people who are not health workers. If your children think they have been exposed to HIV, they should seek urgent advice from a sexual health clinic or casualty department.
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to firstname.lastname@example.org. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...