Knee care: why is my knee making noises?
Tuesday 26 September 2006
My left knee has started to give me trouble, especially when I am squatting in the gym and going up and down stairs. If I bend the knee, there is a gently crunching and grinding sound behind the kneecap. I am 22 years old and healthy, although slightly overweight.
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
This is likely to be chondromalacia patellae. The patella is the kneecap, and the back surface of it is lined with cartilage. The cartilage acts as a buffer, which allows the kneecap to slide over the front of the knee joint whenever the knee is bent. The cartilage behind the kneecap is supposed to be firm and smooth. If, for unknown reasons, it becomes softer than normal, the smooth surface becomes rough and irregular. The grinding noise is caused by the rough cartilage rubbing against the knee bones. The best treatment is a combination of rest, painkillers and physiotherapy, to maintain the strength of the muscles around the knee joint. The Arthritis Research Campaign publishes a comprehensive booklet about chondromalacia patellae (www.arc.org.uk; 0870 850 5000).
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to firstname.lastname@example.org. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 4 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Front End Web Developer is re...