Nutrition: Finding the right therapist

Click to follow
Indy Lifestyle Online

I want to find an alternative therapist to help me with nutritional issues, but I don't know how to find a good one. Should I see a dietician, a nutritionist or a nutritional therapist? I need to know that they are properly qualified.

Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:

Finding a good therapist is all the more difficult in alternative and complementary therapy, because most are not legally regulated. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist or a nutritional therapist, even if they have no training. Dieticians, however, are regulated by the Health Professions Council (HPC). In the UK, it is illegal for someone to describe themselves as a dietician unless they are registered with the HPC. Several organisations are trying to introduce regulation, but until this is sorted out, you have to depend on personal recommendations or your own enquiries into a person's experience and qualifications. The Nutrition Society maintains a voluntary register of qualified nutritionists; see their website at, and the HPC website at

Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.