Smell: 'I've lost my sense of smell. Is it age-related?
Tuesday 15 April 2008
"I'm 67, and I have lost my sense of smell. Food and drink no longer give much pleasure. I did have a virus last year which lingered longer than usual. Is this sense of smell and taste likely to return?"
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Vision and hearing tend to deteriorate with age, but smell usually holds up well. Losing it can be the first sign of something serious. Alzheimer's and Parkinson's can start with the loss of sense of smell. It can also be caused by a head or nose injury that damages the olfactory nerves. Slow-growing brain tumours can press on the olfactory nerves, preventing them working. But a far more common cause is allergy, leading to the lining of your nose becoming swollen and inflamed. There are treatments for allergic nasal problems that can restore your smell to normal. First, get a proper diagnosis, via referral to an ENT or allergy specialist. Allergies to simple things, like dust, feathers and household pets, can cause this kind of problem.
Life & Style blogs
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
From Miley Cyrus' bondage outfit to Rihanna's nipple pasties: Who wore what at the amfAR Inspiration Gala
Woman successfully sues Google for showing her with 'part of her breast exposed' on Street View
Sex with more than 20 women 'reduces risk of prostate cancer'
Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey pulled from shelves over anti-freeze ingredient propylene glycol
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
vary Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - AN OPENING AT A VERY HIGH Q...
£100 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Ilford: Nursery Manager Long term Ran...
£24000 - £25000 Per Annum plus company car and commission: Clearwater People S...
£45 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Supply SEN Support Jobs in Bris...