Smoking: Is it affecting my children's asthma?
Tuesday 06 November 2007
I've had asthma since the age of four, and I think my children may have inherited my tendency, though they only get wheezy when running around. Last night they both got wheezy in the evening and during the night had croupy coughs. By morning, they were back to normal again. My doctor said they might be sensitive to cigarette smoke in the house my husband smoked about three cigarettes last night, but he was in a separate room and put a blanket at the bottom of the door to stop smoke from escaping. Could just the smell of smoke cause the children to wheeze?
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Children who are asthmatic, or have a tendency to wheeze, can be very sensitive to certain triggers, including cigarette smoke. Smoking in a different room doesn't protect children from exposure to the smoke. (Holding a cigarette out of the window doesn't work either.) It is vitally important that no one smokes in your house, as it's clearly harmful to your children. Ask your doctor about devices called spacers that are designed for children, who can find inhalers difficult to use.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to email@example.com. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 2 Pictures show young Palestinian girl biting Israeli soldier trying to detain boy during West Bank protests
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 The 20 toughest job interview questions in the world
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...