Tattoo Removal: Will the NHS help?
Tuesday 25 July 2006
About four years ago I got a small tattoo just below the waistline at the back. It's about the size of a 50p piece. I now want to have it removed but I'm not sure how to go about it. I was told that the NHS won't do this.
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Tattoos can sometimes be removed, but there is no guarantee that you will end up with normal skin at the site of the tattoo. If it's a small tattoo in an inconspicuous site, your best bet might be to have it surgically removed. The surgeon will cut it out and sew together the skin edges. For bigger tattoos, this is not possible, because the skin edges can't be brought together. Another option might be laser treatment, depending on how deep the tattoo is, and what colour it is. The technique is most successful for dark inks, such as blue and black. Laser treatment has to be repeated a number of times. There are plenty of clinics that offer tattoo removal, but I recommend that you seek the advice of a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon who is a member of the The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (www.baaps.org.uk). The NHS is very unlikely to provide this service, but your GP might be able to recommend a specialist.
Please mail your questions for Dr Fred to email@example.com. He regrets that he is unable to respond personally to questions.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Enrique Iglesias injured trying to catch a drone mid concert
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, reveals new look on Annie Leibovitz shot Vanity Fair cover
- 3 Arsenal players boo chief-executive Ivan Gazidis after being told they would not get bonus for FA Cup triumph
- 4 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 5 UK weather: Temperatures set to soar making parts of Britain hotter than parts of the Mediterranean
£26000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A luxury beauty house with a nu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This company are currently recruiting new exp...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This award winning Property Man...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has ari...