Weight loss: 'How can I get rid of my last bit of fat?'
Tuesday 22 April 2008
"I have always been quite skinny, and am still skinny at 70, except for a 'spare tyre', about 1 to 1 1/2in in diameter when pinched. Is there any specific diet or exercise that I can do to get rid of this? I hardly eat any fats, and I eat oodles of fruit and vegetables and take lots of exercise, mainly walking and swimming. The exercise just makes the spare tyre more obtrusive. And if I lose weight generally then I just look scraggy with a spare tyre. Generally I'm content to live with the ageing process but I hate this."
Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question:
Your genes are probably the main determinant of where fat gets deposited on your body and, unfortunately, you can't exchange your genes for a new set. Although there are health benefits to being skinny, I wonder if putting on a few pounds would make your spare tyre a bit less obvious. Two other options – neither of which I would recommend – are liposuction and surgery. But I fear that there is no simple solution. Do any readers have suggestions?
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...