£22m of hospital food left uneaten
Tuesday 11 October 2011
One in 12 hospital meals is returned uneaten, costing more than £22m a year, according to figures from NHS trusts.
Data from 200 hospital and mental health trusts in England suggests nine million meals (almost 8 per cent) go back untouched every year. Seven trusts have 20 per cent or more of all meals returned uneaten.
It comes ahead of a Care Quality Commission report on 100 hospitals which will warn of poor NHS practice over nutrition for the elderly, with hospitals frequently clearing trays before people have a chance to eat and elderly people not given help with meals. PA
The singer Susan Boyle has revealed for the first time that she has been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, a form of autism.
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
travelFor broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...
£50000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# WPF Developer (WinF...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: QA Tester Automation R...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...