A healthier diet, not drugs, is ‘the best way to cut dementia’
Sunday 08 December 2013
The battle against dementia should be refocused to the benefits of a Mediterranean diet and away from “dubious drugs”, a group of doctors and health experts said ahead of the G8 summit on the condition in London this week.
In a letter to the Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, they said persuading people to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, fish and olive oil was “possibly the best strategy currently available”.
They said a healthier diet could have a far greater impact in the fight to reduce increasing rates of the disease than the “dubious benefit of most drugs”.
Signatories to the letter included Professor Clare Gerada, former chair of the Royal College of GPs, and Professor David Haslam, chair of the National Obesity Forum.
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...