Alert as heatwave heads this way
Sunday 28 June 2009
Health services in southern England and the Midlands have been put on alert for a heatwave due to hit early next week.
The Department of Health (DoH) triggered a level 2 warning amid forecasts that temperatures could reach 3C (90F) in London tomorrow and on Tuesday, with night-time temperatures no lower than 19C or 20C. Other areas could see daytime temperatures of between 29C and 30C, falling to no less than 15C to 18C at night, according to the Met Office.
"Keeping the home as cool as possible in hot weather and remembering the needs of friends, relatives and neighbours who could be at risk is essential," the DoH said. "The elderly and those who are ill are particularly vulnerable in hot weather."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity for the ...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time Administrator/Secreta...
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...