Alert prompts Tixylix cough syrups recall
Friday 13 December 2013
Cough and cold sufferers are being urged to check their medicines after a manufacturing fault may have led to small pieces of plastic contaminating some batches, health officials have said.
A number of Tixylix medicines, including some for toddlers and babies, have been recalled by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
While no adverse effects have yet been noted in people who have taken the drugs, the health watchdog has issued a "precautionary" recall.
Manufacturer Novartis alerted officials to a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the seal that might have resulted in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA's head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre, said: "This is a precautionary recall and there is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
"If people have bought Tixylix we ask that they check the batch number on the bottle label next to the expiry date to see if it is one of the batches being recalled. If anyone has an affected batch they should return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
"If people do have any questions they can contact Novartis on 0800 854 100 or visit tixylix.co.uk."
The batches being recalled are:
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 150ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Baby Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Blackcurrant Flavour Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Chesty Cough 100ml PL 00030/0082
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...