Alert prompts Tixylix cough syrups recall
Friday 13 December 2013
Cough and cold sufferers are being urged to check their medicines after a manufacturing fault may have led to small pieces of plastic contaminating some batches, health officials have said.
A number of Tixylix medicines, including some for toddlers and babies, have been recalled by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
While no adverse effects have yet been noted in people who have taken the drugs, the health watchdog has issued a "precautionary" recall.
Manufacturer Novartis alerted officials to a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the seal that might have resulted in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA's head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre, said: "This is a precautionary recall and there is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
"If people have bought Tixylix we ask that they check the batch number on the bottle label next to the expiry date to see if it is one of the batches being recalled. If anyone has an affected batch they should return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
"If people do have any questions they can contact Novartis on 0800 854 100 or visit tixylix.co.uk."
The batches being recalled are:
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 150ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Baby Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Blackcurrant Flavour Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Chesty Cough 100ml PL 00030/0082
Life & Style blogs
Free porn websites could be shut down within months, says David Cameron
The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
Uber's real-time nearby cars map is fake, data experts claim
National Orgasm Day: Six reasons (plus one bogus one) why they're good for us
The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 1 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 2 It won’t work, Jeremy: The Health Secretary has lost the confidence of the medical profession in his attempt to reform the NHS
- 3 Kim Jong-un awarded global statesmanship prize by Indonesia
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
£17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are a leading company in the field ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£26041 - £34876 per annum: Recruitment Genius: There has never been a more exc...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...