Alert prompts Tixylix cough syrups recall
Friday 13 December 2013
Cough and cold sufferers are being urged to check their medicines after a manufacturing fault may have led to small pieces of plastic contaminating some batches, health officials have said.
A number of Tixylix medicines, including some for toddlers and babies, have been recalled by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
While no adverse effects have yet been noted in people who have taken the drugs, the health watchdog has issued a "precautionary" recall.
Manufacturer Novartis alerted officials to a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the seal that might have resulted in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA's head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre, said: "This is a precautionary recall and there is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
"If people have bought Tixylix we ask that they check the batch number on the bottle label next to the expiry date to see if it is one of the batches being recalled. If anyone has an affected batch they should return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
"If people do have any questions they can contact Novartis on 0800 854 100 or visit tixylix.co.uk."
The batches being recalled are:
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 150ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Baby Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Blackcurrant Flavour Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Chesty Cough 100ml PL 00030/0082
Life & Style blogs
Penis size study: what's 'normal' anyway?
Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
Penis size: is there a correlation with sexual satisfaction? A scientific look
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
- 1 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 3 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 4 Adam Levine's biggest fan had a panic attack upon meeting him, so the singer laid down on the floor to get a photo with him
- 5 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
£45000 - £55000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior VMware Platform En...
£10000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A distributor of specialist ele...
£17000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A distributor of specialist ele...
£32000 per annum + pension, healthcare & 23 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A gro...