Alert prompts Tixylix cough syrups recall
Friday 13 December 2013
Cough and cold sufferers are being urged to check their medicines after a manufacturing fault may have led to small pieces of plastic contaminating some batches, health officials have said.
A number of Tixylix medicines, including some for toddlers and babies, have been recalled by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
While no adverse effects have yet been noted in people who have taken the drugs, the health watchdog has issued a "precautionary" recall.
Manufacturer Novartis alerted officials to a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the seal that might have resulted in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA's head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre, said: "This is a precautionary recall and there is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
"If people have bought Tixylix we ask that they check the batch number on the bottle label next to the expiry date to see if it is one of the batches being recalled. If anyone has an affected batch they should return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
"If people do have any questions they can contact Novartis on 0800 854 100 or visit tixylix.co.uk."
The batches being recalled are:
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Toddler Syrup 150ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Baby Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Blackcurrant Flavour Syrup 100ml PL 00030/0150
* Tixylix Chesty Cough 100ml PL 00030/0082
Life & Style blogs
National Burger Day: all your beefy questions answered
36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini review: a watertight little brother to the S5 with a top flight screen
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- < Previous
- Next >
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Sustainability Assessor...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: We urgently require Primar...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Would you like to have a b...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Would you like to wo...