Anorexia is mystery to ministers
Saturday 14 March 2009
The Government has no official record of how many people in the UK suffer from anorexia or bulimia, a leading eating disorder charity says.
Estimates suggest one million people in Britain suffer from an eating disorder, but despite the fact they claim more lives than any other mental illness, official figures only show the number of people admitted to hospital.
The charity Beat says hospital admissions only account for the most serious eating disorder cases and people who visit a GP about their condition should also be included in the figures, to provide a better picture of the problem.
The Health Department said: "Establishing an accurate count of sufferers would involve an extensive door-to-door survey. Even that would be prone to error as so many disorders are hidden and denied."
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Ebola outbreak: Survivor William Pooley is flown to US to give doctor with virus emergency blood transfusion
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Scottish independence live: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum - as it happened
- 2 Scottish referendum results: David Cameron set to unveil major devolution of powers to England
- 3 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 4 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
£6720 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Nottingham: Randstad Eduction are...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Leicester: Are you a Teacher looking fo...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Leicester: Are you a Newly Qualified Teacher lo...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Leicester: Part Time Primary TeacherOur...