Antioxidants may boost chances of pregnancy
Wednesday 19 January 2011
Men who are struggling to make their partner pregnant could boost their chances by taking antioxidants, new research suggests.
Vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, L-carnitine, zinc and magnesium may boost the quality of sperm, according to a review of 34 trials.
Experts from the Cochrane Library analysed trials which dealt with male subfertility in more than 2,800 couples. All were receiving help with reproduction, such as having IVF. Researchers noted that chemicals called reactive oxygen species are thought to cause damage to cells, in particular sperm cells, which may result in lower sperm counts and interfere with the ability to fertilise eggs. The damage caused could be cut by taking antioxidants, the review suggested.
Lead researcher Marian Showell, from the University of Auckland, said it may be advisable for men to take oral antioxidant supplements to increase their partner's chances of conceiving.
Life & Style blogs
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time: 10 worst gadgets of recent times
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Facebook status updates indicates whether a user is narcissistic or neurotic, research finds
- 1 Games of Thrones actor Lena Headey makes emotional promise to her unborn daughter
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...