Antioxidants may boost chances of pregnancy
Wednesday 19 January 2011
Men who are struggling to make their partner pregnant could boost their chances by taking antioxidants, new research suggests.
Vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, L-carnitine, zinc and magnesium may boost the quality of sperm, according to a review of 34 trials.
Experts from the Cochrane Library analysed trials which dealt with male subfertility in more than 2,800 couples. All were receiving help with reproduction, such as having IVF. Researchers noted that chemicals called reactive oxygen species are thought to cause damage to cells, in particular sperm cells, which may result in lower sperm counts and interfere with the ability to fertilise eggs. The damage caused could be cut by taking antioxidants, the review suggested.
Lead researcher Marian Showell, from the University of Auckland, said it may be advisable for men to take oral antioxidant supplements to increase their partner's chances of conceiving.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...