Antioxidants may boost chances of pregnancy
Wednesday 19 January 2011
Men who are struggling to make their partner pregnant could boost their chances by taking antioxidants, new research suggests.
Vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, L-carnitine, zinc and magnesium may boost the quality of sperm, according to a review of 34 trials.
Experts from the Cochrane Library analysed trials which dealt with male subfertility in more than 2,800 couples. All were receiving help with reproduction, such as having IVF. Researchers noted that chemicals called reactive oxygen species are thought to cause damage to cells, in particular sperm cells, which may result in lower sperm counts and interfere with the ability to fertilise eggs. The damage caused could be cut by taking antioxidants, the review suggested.
Lead researcher Marian Showell, from the University of Auckland, said it may be advisable for men to take oral antioxidant supplements to increase their partner's chances of conceiving.
Life & Style blogs
WWE 2K15 gameplay trailer: First look at Sting, Triple H and Daniel Bryan in next-gen graphics
iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
Dale Bolinger guilty: What is sexual cannibalism?
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
First day of Autumn: Google Doodle celebrates 2014 Autumn equinox
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£18000 - £25000 Per Annum + bonus and benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Lt...
£65000 Per Annum Benefits + bonus: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: If you are...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chester: Key Stage 2 Teachers needed in Shropsh...
£24000 - £36000 per annum + pre 12 week AWR : Randstad Education Manchester Se...