Apology over baby scan errors
Saturday 09 October 2010
A hospital has apologised to two pregnant women after wrongly telling them that their unborn babies were dead.
Sofia Taylor and Joanna Barro were given the erroneous news when they went for scans at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. Brighton and Sussex University Hospital NHS Trust apologised and assured other mothers-to-be that they were implementing new safeguards to ensure the same error will not occur again.
Ms Taylor, 22, refused to accept her baby was dead following a scan at nine weeks in August. A second scan showed her pregnancy was progressing normally. Her case followed that of Joanna Barro, 25, who was told in August 2007 that doctors could not detect a foetal heartbeat when she went for a scan . She returned for a follow-up scan a week later, where she learnt that there was in fact a heartbeat.
Ms Barro, from Peacehaven, East Sussex, went on to give birth seven months later to a girl called Ruby.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: A VERY HIGH QUALITY FIRM A high qual...