Atheist doctors behave differently
Thursday 26 August 2010
Atheist doctors are almost twice as willing to take decisions that speed up a person's death as those who hold deep religious beliefs, research suggests.
A survey of almost 4,000 British doctors also found that those with strong religious beliefs were less likely to discuss with seriously-ill patients treatments that hastened their deaths.
As part of the study, published in the Journal of Medical Ethics, doctors from a wide range of specialities – including those related to end-of-life care – were asked about their religious views and their care of their last patient who died. Doctors who said they were non-religious were more likely than any other group to have given continuous, deep sedation until death, having taken a decision they knew could or would end a paitent's life.
Those who described themselves as "extremely" or "very non-religious" were almost twice as likely to have taken these kinds of decisions as those with a strong religious belief. They were also more likely to have discussed end-of-life decisions with patients.
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Livr: A social network only for drunk people
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
International Women's Day 2014: Google creates celebratory video Doodle to mark the day
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...