Australian hospital aborts wrong baby
Friday 25 November 2011
A healthy 32-week-old foetus was aborted by mistake by doctors in Melbourne. The mother had agreed to abort one of her twin boys after doctors discovered he had a congenital heart defect. But the wrong baby was injected.
The mother then had an emergency Caesarean section and the sick child was also terminated in a three-hour operation, the Herald Sun newspaper reported yesterday.
The Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne described the mistake as "a distressing clinical accident".
"This is a terrible tragedy and the hospital is deeply sorry for the loss suffered by the patient and her family," the hospital said. "We are conducting a full investigation."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...