Australian hospital aborts wrong baby
Friday 25 November 2011
A healthy 32-week-old foetus was aborted by mistake by doctors in Melbourne. The mother had agreed to abort one of her twin boys after doctors discovered he had a congenital heart defect. But the wrong baby was injected.
The mother then had an emergency Caesarean section and the sick child was also terminated in a three-hour operation, the Herald Sun newspaper reported yesterday.
The Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne described the mistake as "a distressing clinical accident".
"This is a terrible tragedy and the hospital is deeply sorry for the loss suffered by the patient and her family," the hospital said. "We are conducting a full investigation."
Life & Style blogs
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
'Game-changing' new way to fight cancer discovered
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Domestic Service Only Engineers are requ...
£23600 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Employability Service withi...