Australian hospital aborts wrong baby
Friday 25 November 2011
A healthy 32-week-old foetus was aborted by mistake by doctors in Melbourne. The mother had agreed to abort one of her twin boys after doctors discovered he had a congenital heart defect. But the wrong baby was injected.
The mother then had an emergency Caesarean section and the sick child was also terminated in a three-hour operation, the Herald Sun newspaper reported yesterday.
The Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne described the mistake as "a distressing clinical accident".
"This is a terrible tragedy and the hospital is deeply sorry for the loss suffered by the patient and her family," the hospital said. "We are conducting a full investigation."
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
Titanfall: First-person shooter lands with a boom on Xbox One, but will it save Microsoft's console?
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£44000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 practice in the h...
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: PMO Lead - £50k - ...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad are currentl...
£45000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: We are working with an accou...