Australian hospital aborts wrong baby
Friday 25 November 2011
A healthy 32-week-old foetus was aborted by mistake by doctors in Melbourne. The mother had agreed to abort one of her twin boys after doctors discovered he had a congenital heart defect. But the wrong baby was injected.
The mother then had an emergency Caesarean section and the sick child was also terminated in a three-hour operation, the Herald Sun newspaper reported yesterday.
The Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne described the mistake as "a distressing clinical accident".
"This is a terrible tragedy and the hospital is deeply sorry for the loss suffered by the patient and her family," the hospital said. "We are conducting a full investigation."
Life & Style blogs
Everyone should watch this boy's reaction to learning he will be a big brother
No, a porn star wasn't tricked into performing a sex act on her brother
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Rafael Nadal strips off in racy new ads for Tommy Hilfiger
iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 4 Jozef Wesołowski: Former Catholic archbishop found dead ahead of child sexual abuse trial
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...