Average man is a stone heavier than in 1980s
British men are getting heavier, with the average man piling on more than a stone between 1986 and 2000 – and experts believe the weight gains are getting worse.
Research from Oxford University shows that the average man was 7.7kg (17lb) heavier in 2000 than he was in 1986. Women have not fared much better, with an average weight gain of 5.4kg.
While men have put on weight due to poor diet and a lack of exercise, women have piled on the pounds by simply eating too much, the researchers wrote in the British Journal of Nutrition. They analysed changes in food consumption and body weight.
NHS figures for 2008 in England, the most recent available, show that 25 per cent of men were classed as obese, compared with only around 7 per cent in 1986-87. Dr Peter Scarborough, who led the latest study, said: "Men spend more of their working lives sitting at desks now – manual careers are less common than they used to be."
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...