Beer drinkers' guide to a healthier heart
It is the beer that refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach. But the refreshing beverage is not Heineken but Guinness. In a development that backs the advertising slogan "Guinness is good for you", scientists have found the famous Irish stout reduces the risk of blood clots that cause heart attacks.
Dark beer is rich in flavenoids which have powerful anti-oxidant effects, combating the build-up of fatty deposits in the arteries, said Professor John Folts, director of the Coronary Thrombosis Research Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin. Light-coloured beers, such as lagers, lacked the same health-giving punch.
Professor Folts presented his Guinness vs Heineken study at the American Heart Association's annual meeting in Orlando, Florida. He and his colleagues fed the beers to eight dogs via tubes directly into their stomachs and observed the effects on their blood. Only those given Guinness had reduced stickiness of their blood owing to the effect of the dark beer on the platelets which control blood clotting. All the dogs had narrowed arteries from heart disease.
It had been thought that small quantities of beer can benefit the heart because of their alcohol, but the study suggests the type of beer may also be important.
Life & Style blogs
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
Pot of gold: tasting the world’s most expensive tea
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...