Biggest fall in NHS staff for a decade
NHS staff numbers in England have shown their biggest fall in 10 years, with nursing posts among those cut, official figures show.
The workforce fell by 19,799 by the end of September 2011 to 1,350,377, a drop of 1.4 per cent on a year earlier.
It is the biggest fall in staff figures for a decade and comes as health chiefs are confronted with making £20bn in efficiency savings by 2014-15. The biggest drop was in management, with their numbers falling by 8.9 per cent to 38,214, according to the report by the NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care.
NHS support staff fell to 219,624, a fall of 5.9 per cent since 2010, while the number of hospital and community health service nurses fell by 3,411, or 1 per cent.
GP and consultant numbers rose by 0.9 per cent and 3.5 per cent respectively, and overall there are more than 240,000 more people working for the NHS than a decade ago.
Critics said the figures provided proof that, despite reassurances, frontline NHS jobs were not being protected. Dr Peter Carter, chief executive and general secretary of the Royal College of Nursing, said the loss of qualified nurses was "incredibly worrying".
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...