Binge-drinkers 'should pay for hospital stays'
Thursday 31 December 2009
New Year revellers who are admitted to hospital to sleep off their alcoholic excesses should be charged a fee of more than £500 for the privilege, a leading think-tank has proposed.
Policy Exchange, which has the ear of David Cameron, said that binge drinking this New Year's Eve was set to cost taxpayers £23m. It suggested that the burden should be removed from the NHS and passed on to individuals, with a £532 charge for anyone admitted for less than 24 hours with acute alcohol intoxication. The number of people entering hospital for alcohol intoxication has doubled in a decade.
Henry Featherstone, the head of Policy Exchange's health & social care unit, said the Government needed to review its strategy in tackling binge drinking. "Alcohol misuse in Britain is at a level where it constitutes a public health epidemic – direct costs to the NHS are nearly £3bn a year," he said.
"We recommend that the costs of being admitted to hospital to sleep off alcoholic excess should be met by individuals, not the NHS."
The latest government statistics suggest that 7.6 million people in England drink at a level hazardous to their health, with 2.9 million showing signs that they have already done harm to themselves through excess drinking.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
£65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Presales Engineer - central London ...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Physiotherapist / Sports Ther...
£8 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives / Advisors are required...
£14000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...