BMA calls round-the-clock 'Tesco NHS' plan ridiculous
Calls to reorganise health services to create a round-the-clock “Tesco-style NHS” are “just ridiculous”, the leader of the British Medical Association has said.
NHS England has called for more care services – including GP and hospital appointments – to be available in the evening and at weekends, and has prioritised so-called 24/7 care in its review of urgent and emergency care services.
But Dr Mark Porter, the chairman of the BMA Council, told delegates at the union’s annual conference that the idea was fanciful when the health service could “barely afford” its current model.
“Like many doctors here, I feel personally offended by the terms in which this debate has been couched,” he said.
“Like many of you I work nights and weekends as well, at times when much of the private sector is fast asleep and ministers are tucked up soundly in their beds. We all want urgent care at weekends and evenings to be of the same high standards as patients can expect on weekdays. But the calls we sometimes hear for a Tesco NHS, full service, 24/7, are just ridiculous when the health service can barely afford its current model.”
Life & Style blogs
‘I had to terminate my pregnancies because I was carrying girls’ - the story of a woman forced into gender-selective abortions
'Excluded' dads put the heat on Mumsnet with campaign for parental parity in bringing up baby
Bill Granger recipes: Our chef cooks some American diner classics
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Malaysia flight MH370: Pitbull song lyrics bear uncanny resemblance to missing plane mystery, according to YouTubers
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Charter Selection: This well respected and exciting...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Charter Selection: This exciting company and market...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + EXCELLENT SALARY: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Cli...
£25,000 to £35,000: IT Connections Ltd: Signal Processing Engineer / Acoustics...