Breakthrough in meningitis scourge
Monday 09 August 2010
Genetic factors behind the deaths of children struck down by meningitis have been identified for the first time. Experts hope the breakthrough will boost development of vaccines that protect against the deadliest strain of meningitis bacteria.
At present, there is no vaccine for the Group B strain which each year claims thousands of lives around the world. Scientists scoured the genetic codes of 6,000 people for clues to why certain individuals are more vulnerable to attacks by meningococcal meningitis, and found evidence of the key role that genetics plays in the way the body responds to the infection.
It was already known that most people carry the bugs in their throat without succumbing to the disease. But occasionally the bacteria strike with devastating force, leading to death in up to one in 10 cases. About 1,500 cases of bacterial meningitis are recorded in the UK each year. Most victims are children under five, and teenagers.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
British Breakfast Awards 2015: London restaurant wins prize for inventive take on the Full English
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A PA is required to join a leading provider of...