Cancer drug set for NHS fast-track
Friday 24 December 2010
A new drug to treat advanced kidney cancer has been fast-tracked for use on the NHS, a health watchdog said yesterday.
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) is recommending Votrient (pazopanib). Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline has agreed to a 12.5 per discount to the NHS, following the outcome of a clinical trial, comparing the drug with Sutent (sunitinib), which is already approved.
Dr Carole Longson, from Nice, said: "Pazopanib will offer patients an additional option and, for some, a more favourable side-effect profile."
Each year more than 8,000 new cases of kidney cancer are diagnosed in the UK, and almost half will lead to death.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Ebola outbreak: Survivor William Pooley is flown to US to give doctor with virus emergency blood transfusion
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up space on your iPhone or iPad to install update
- 1 Scottish independence results live: Reunited kingdom - Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum
- 2 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 3 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
£7 - £8 per hour: Randstad Education Cheshire: The Job:School Science Technici...
£50 - £60 per day: Randstad Education Preston: Long term SIMS School Administr...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Nursery assistants re...
£120 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Are you a qualified teache...