Centres 'unfit for work'
Thursday 22 November 2012
One in four centres run by the firm carrying out the controversial "fit for work" assessments for the sick and disabled lacks disabled access, MPs were told yesterday.
Mark Hoban, the Employment minister, said 31 of the 123 centres run by the French healthcare firm Atos lacked ground-floor access for wheelchairs. Six centres had "terrible" problems and were responsible for nearly three-quarters of all cases of people having to be turned away due to inaccessibility, Mr Hoban told the Work and Pensions Select Committee.
People claiming disability benefits must usually attend a face-to-face assessment with a healthcare professional to determine whether they qualify.
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...