Child's hospital death probed in sabotage scare
Tuesday 21 April 2009
Essex police are investigating the death of a three-year-old in hospital amid fears that intravenous fluid bags had been sabotaged, it was reported today.
The child died on Saturday morning after being taken to Basildon University Hospital's paediatric unit the previous evening.
Staff called the police on Sunday over fears that 12 fluid bags had been punctured, the BBC reported. It quoted police as saying there was no evidence at this stage to link the death to any damage.
Det Supt Tim Wills said: "A post-mortem examination will be carried out by a specialist forensic pathologist and the priority is to establish the cause of death, support the family and keep them informed."
CCTV footage was being examined and a store room was sealed off for forensic examinations.
The hospital trust said concerned parents should call 01268 598536.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The Silicon Valley awards which treat scientists like rockstars
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
Life & Style blogs
The 50 Best Christmas Gifts for Women
Foodini: the £835 machine that 'prints' food in your kitchen
Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
In pictures: Christmas in London through the ages
Pirate Bay sets sail for Ascension Island after SX domain name seized by authorities
- 1 Italian court annuls prison sentence for elderly paedophile after 11-year-old victim tells investigators in Catanzaro that she loves him
- 2 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 3 Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >
£85 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Chester: Day to Day job opportunities f...
£500 - £525 per day: Harrington Starr: Business Intelligence Consultant/Develo...
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Charter Selection: High end/luxury residential fit ...
£150 - £250 per annum: PCR Recruitment Limited: West London based Broadcaster ...