Child's hospital death probed in sabotage scare
Tuesday 21 April 2009
Essex police are investigating the death of a three-year-old in hospital amid fears that intravenous fluid bags had been sabotaged, it was reported today.
The child died on Saturday morning after being taken to Basildon University Hospital's paediatric unit the previous evening.
Staff called the police on Sunday over fears that 12 fluid bags had been punctured, the BBC reported. It quoted police as saying there was no evidence at this stage to link the death to any damage.
Det Supt Tim Wills said: "A post-mortem examination will be carried out by a specialist forensic pathologist and the priority is to establish the cause of death, support the family and keep them informed."
CCTV footage was being examined and a store room was sealed off for forensic examinations.
The hospital trust said concerned parents should call 01268 598536.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Corporate / Commercial Solicitor - Buckinghams...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The world's leading mobile adver...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Construct...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Charter Selection: Charter Selection are currently ...