Cold cures 'don't work on children'
Sunday 01 March 2009
Parents will be told that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines do not work on children under 12, and can even cause side-effects like hallucinations.
A review of remedies such as Lemsip, Day Nurse and Sudafed by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) found "no robust evidence that these medicines work" in children.
The MHRA added that possible side-effects could include sleep disturbance and allergic reactions, and has decided many can no longer be sold for use on children under six. New, clearer advice will be published on packets for children between six and 12. Pain relief preparations and remedies used to lower a child's temperature, such as Calpol, are unaffected by the new rules. For children under six, the MHRA recommends parents stick to simple remedies like keeping their child's temperature down, and honey and lemon mixtures to ease a cough.
Life & Style blogs
Geeks who rocked the world: Documentary looks back at origins of the computer-games industry
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors: 'I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK'
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
£30000 - £32000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding business...
£25000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in Henley-on-Thames, this...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...