Common drugs could prove fatal to elderly
Friday 24 June 2011
Hundreds of thousands of older people who take common drugs could be at increased risk of mental decline and death, research suggests.
A study of 13,000 people found risks from over-the-counter and prescription drugs, including some antihistamines, painkillers, blood thinners and eye drops for glaucoma.
Researchers say well-known side-effects of the drugs could have an impact on the brain, increasing the risk of decline and death.
Some of the most dangerous drugs are commonly available, including the antihistamines chlorphenamine (used in the brand Piriton) and promethazine (used in Phenergan), anti-depressants amitriptyline (used in several brands) and paroxetine (used in Seroxat) and the incontinence drug oxybutynin (used in Ditropan).
The study, published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, forms part of the Medical Research Council's Cognitive Function and Ageing Studies project, which hopes to uncover risk factors for dementia. PA
Life & Style blogs
American Apparel makes 15-year-old YouTube star Brendan Jordan the face of its new campaign
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy nurse who killed herself in a Swiss clinic accused of doing it for 'publicity'
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
- 1 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£19000 - £21225 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Duties will include assisting t...
£35 - 38k + Benefits & Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Account Manager ...
£16000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This position will in the main ...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the top Cosmeceutical br...