'Cyberknife' to treat cancer in UK
Sunday 08 February 2009
A robotic radiotherapy machine that treats cancer is to be used in the UK for the first time this week.
The £2.5m Cyberknife maps the movement of a patient's breathing so that tumours can be targeted with greater accuracy than is currently possible. It works by delivering multiple beams of high-dose radiation from a wide variety of angles using a robotic arm. X-ray cameras monitor the patient's breathing and the radiotherapy beam is then repositioned in order to minimise damage to surrounding tissues. The accuracy enables treatment for tumours that are in difficult positions and are dangerous to operate on, such as near the spinal chord.
Ten people are lined up for treatment in the Harley Street Clinic in London, at a cost per patient of £15,000 to £20,000. Dr Nick Plowman, a consultant oncologist at St Bartholomew's hospital, who will oversee the treatment, said: "If you get a discreet little tumour in an awkward place, under the liver or next to the kidney, then there's really nothing better than the Cyberknife."
Life & Style blogs
Imagination Quotient tests could lead to smartphone app that boosts your creativity
Asexuality: when life isn't all about sex
Twitter deletes plagiarised jokes for 'copyright infringement'
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Instagram and Facebook have 'totally changed' the way people buy clothes in the age of the selfie
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 37-year-old black woman found dead in police custody
- 3 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
- 4 Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join an est...
£30000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Why not be in charge of your ow...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This organisation based in Peac...
£20000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful and rapidly gro...