'Dangerous' dementia drugs to be reviewed
Friday 20 June 2008
The prescribing of powerful anti-psychotic drugs to patients with dementia is to be reviewed immediately, ministers have said.
The announcement follows evidence that up to half of GPs are prescribing the drugs as a "chemical cosh" to subdue challenging patients, despite safety warnings issued four years ago. Ivan Lewis, a Health minister, ordered the review at the launch of a proposed national dementia strategy to improve care for the 570,000 sufferers in England.
Two drugs, risperidone and olanzapine, are widely used in treating schizophrenia but carry an increased risk of stroke in elderly patients. However, a recent survey of 355 GPs by BBC Radio 4 found more than half admitted prescribing them.
Mr Lewis said: "This first-ever national dementia strategy... will set out how we will improve the quality of life for people with dementia and their families, improve their quality of care, increase awareness and ensure earlier diagnosis and intervention."
Life & Style blogs
American Apparel makes 15-year-old YouTube star Brendan Jordan the face of its new campaign
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy nurse who killed herself in a Swiss clinic accused of doing it for 'publicity'
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
- 1 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 2 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 3 Natalia Molchanova: World's most successful free-diver missing and feared dead after disappearing in Mediterranean
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£19000 - £21225 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Duties will include assisting t...
£35 - 38k + Benefits & Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Account Manager ...
£16000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This position will in the main ...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the top Cosmeceutical br...