Depressed children need more support, says Nice
Monday 30 September 2013
More needs to be done to improve care and support for children who suffer from depression, health experts have said.
Depression in children is more common than people think and there must be clear steps in place so health workers can deliver the best care to those affected, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) said.
If a doctor suspects a child is depressed they must endeavour to make a diagnosis and record it in the child’s medical records, says Nice’s new quality standards. Experts also need to ensure there is “age appropriate” material so that children can understand their diagnosis and treatment.
Severe depression affects nearly 80,000 children and young people in the UK including more than 8,000 under-10s, figures suggest.
Life & Style blogs
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Pacman Google Maps: company offers chance to play classic arcade game on real streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...