Depressed children need more support, says Nice
Monday 30 September 2013
More needs to be done to improve care and support for children who suffer from depression, health experts have said.
Depression in children is more common than people think and there must be clear steps in place so health workers can deliver the best care to those affected, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) said.
If a doctor suspects a child is depressed they must endeavour to make a diagnosis and record it in the child’s medical records, says Nice’s new quality standards. Experts also need to ensure there is “age appropriate” material so that children can understand their diagnosis and treatment.
Severe depression affects nearly 80,000 children and young people in the UK including more than 8,000 under-10s, figures suggest.
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
Contraceptive pill 'can affect emotions by changing structure of brain'
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...