Diocese stops communion wine over swine flu
Thursday 25 June 2009
The Catholic Diocese of Plymouth has warned its churches not to offer wine during Communion to help stop the spread of swine flu.
The Diocese has written to all churches suggesting they offer only bread or wafers after two cases of the virus were confirmed in the city.
Letters were sent out last week advising priests against using a chalice filled with wine.
Michael Fay, communications officer for the Diocese of Plymouth, said: "The bishops discussed it and it was left to individual dioceses to decide on what measures they would take."
He said the Right Rev Christopher Budd, Roman Catholic Bishop of Plymouth, has taken the decision to remove wine as "a temporary measure".
He said: "He thought it was prudent to recommend that wine not be offered in the form of blood in the chalice."
The Plymouth Diocese covers much of south-west England, serving Cornwall, Devon and Dorset.
It has 93 parishes and is divided into five deaneries: Cornwall, Plymouth, Torbay, Exeter and North and East Devon, and Dorset.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...