Doctors from crisis-hit eurozone countries heading to UK for work
The financial crisis in the eurozone has led to a dramatic increase in the number of doctors from countries such as Greece and Spain leaving to work in the UK, new figures have revealed.
Since 2010 there has been a 29 per cent increase in the number of doctors joining the General Medical Council's register from Greece – with 365 doctors making applications in the past year alone. At the same time the number of doctors who registered in the UK from Spain increased by 28 per cent.
The figures emerged in the GMC's annual report on the state of the medical profession in the UK. It also found that in the past year, the number of complaints against doctors had increased by 23 per cent, with one in every 64 doctors now likely to be investigated by the regulator.
But Niall Dickson, chief executive of the GMC, stressed that the rise in complaints did not necessarily mean that medical standards were falling, adding that the number of serious complaints upheld had not risen.
Life & Style blogs
Surgeon backs 'good death' plans - and reveals his own
NHS hit by stealth cuts of £2bn as tariffs received for medical procedures are reduced
How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
£26000 - £28000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Senior Accounts Assistan...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...