Drink-related hospital cases rising
Friday 09 December 2011
Rates of hospital admissions related to alcohol continue to rise.
They have more than doubled since 2002/03 and risen 9% in the last year alone, data published today by Local Alcohol Profiles for England shows.
In England in 2002/03, there were 926 admissions per 100,000 people for conditions attributable to alcohol, rising to 1,898 in 2010/11.
In 2009/10, the figure was 1,743 per 100,000.
London has seen the biggest jump in the last year, at 14%, followed by the East of England with a 10% increase.
Shadow public health minister Diane Abbott said the Government needed to "get a grip" on binge-drinking.
In a written parliamentary answer to Ms Abbott, public health minister Anne Milton said provisional figures showed an estimated 7,074 hospital admissions for people under 18 due to alcohol since January.
Ms Abbott said: "The alarm bells should be ringing with the publication of these figures.
"It is clear that this Government is rapidly pushing us towards a binge-drinking crisis.
"It is clear that for Andrew Lansley, the be-all and end-all is whether his friends in big business are happy, and, unfortunately, it is costing our NHS and British families an absolute fortune.
"A recent report predicted that binge-drinking will cost the NHS £3.8 billion by 2015, with 1.5 million A&E admissions a year."
Life & Style blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...